Assistant Director of Distance and Distributed Learning
APPLICATIONS LACKING THE REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
Reports to: Dean, Nelson Poynter Memorial Library, USFSP
Expected Salary Range: $65,000 - $75,000
The Nelson Poynter Memorial Library of the University of South Florida St. Petersburg (USFSP) seeks an entrepreneurial, collaborative, innovative and service-oriented leader for the new position of Assistant Director of Distance and Distributed Learning. USFSP is a separately accredited university within the University of South Florida System. USFSP offers bachelors and master's degrees in Business, Education, and Arts & Sciences to approximately 6000 students, with a growing number of courses and degrees being offered fully online. This position will provide leadership and vision for USFSP’s distance and distributed learning efforts, working collaboratively with academic units to identify programmatic opportunities for online degrees, certificates, and courses. Develops external collaborations for online learning content and partnerships. Has responsibility for monitoring the financial stability of the distance learning program at USFSP. Develops and coordinates business processes to support online learning efforts. Coordinates instructional support for distance learning with academic units to provide faculty and student training, support, and resources for online academic offerings. Responsible for expanding high-quality online learning efforts. Seeks grant funding for online learning projects. Supervises assigned personnel. Interacts professionally with all internal and external customers using strong interpersonal skills. Provides administrative backup for the Library Dean when appropriate and serves as a member of the Library Leadership Team.
Reporting to the Dean of Library and working closely with other members of the Library’s Leadership Team, the Assistant Director of Distance and Distributed Learning will embody the Library’s mission to be an active partner in the teaching, research, and learning at USFSP. Salary range: $65,000 - $75,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
- By embracing the transformative role of information technology and online, distributed learning, provides leadership for the University’s distance and distributed learning efforts.
- Builds relationships with the Colleges and other functional units within the University to refine or design processes that support online learning students and enrollment growth for the University through online learning.
- Coordinates instructional support for distance and online learning.
- Responsible for maintaining high levels of quality in distance and online learning programs that support growth in University enrollments and retention.
- In conjunction with Library Systems and Campus Computing, designs and develops an online learning infrastructure and long-term technology plan.
- Works to secure grant money for funding of new and ongoing distance learning projects by identifying sources and writing proposals to secure grants or contracts from private and public funding agencies.
- Represents the University on designated internal and external committees and organizations.
- Supervises assigned personnel in the Library’s Distance Learning and Instructional Media Services unit by providing orientation, guidance, and professional development as required. Provides assistance in analyzing and resolving complex issues. Approves or makes recommendations regarding employment, performance appraisals, salary changes, promotions, transfers and terminations.
- Incorporates principles of teamwork and customer service with all organizational levels in the resolution, completion and follow-up of various responsibilities. Facilitates the creation of a team, service-oriented environment.
- Remains current with technological, pedagogical, and policy trends in online learning through participating in continuing education courses, professional organizations, seminars and workshops; reading current literature; and maintaining professional contacts in the community.
- Provides administrative backup for the Library Dean when appropriate and serves as a member of the Library Leadership Team.
- Master’s degree in Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional Systems, Educational Systems, Educational Technology, or a related field.
- Five years experience directly related to distance learning and/or instructional technology.
- Experience in online course development and/or in teaching in an online environment, including assessment of student outcomes.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Demonstrated student focus and an understanding of managing a service organization.
- Experience managing departmental budgets.
- Familiarity with academic library services and processes.
- Previous experience in an administrative role in an accredited higher education institution.
- Experience managing a distance learning organization within higher education.
- Familiarity with processes for admissions, marketing, financial aid, program development and assessment in higher education institutions.
- Marketing and market research experience. Grant writing experience.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D.
To apply, visit the USF Careers web site at: https://employment.usf.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=60179
For more information on the Library and the context for this position, please see the Institutional Profile (http://dspace.nelson.usf.edu/xmlui/handle/10806/4845)
For questions about the position, contact Carol Hixson, Dean of Library, at email@example.com
USFSP is an EO/Equal Access Institution. Welcoming…Diverse…Inclusive